Meet Tara

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 18, 2018, 08:54:32 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Tara McNeill Forum
|-+  Tara McNeill
| |-+  Meet Tara (Moderator: GlenS)
| | |-+  Meet Tara
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Meet Tara  (Read 2055 times)
GlenS
Administrator

View Profile
    « on: August 08, 2016, 12:51:09 PM »

Tara McNeill is a violinist, singer and harpist from Antrim, Ireland.

Tara graduated with First class honours in the BA in Music Performance (violin) at the Royal Irish Academy of Music under the tuition of Michael D’Arcy. She has toured China, Argentina, Chile and Mexico with Camerata Ireland and world renowned pianist, Barry Douglas, performed with the RTE Concert Orchestra and Ulster Orchestra, led the Ulster Youth Orchestra and both the RIAM Chamber and Symphony Orchestras. Tara performed the Irish premiere of Finzi's Violin Concerto in the National Concert Hall, Dublin in April, 2013.

Tara  has toured Canada, China, Japan and Holland as both a singer and solo violinist with the vocal group Anúna . She is also the solo violinist on their album ‘Illumination’.

In Celtic Woman's 2015 TV special 'Destiny', Tara appears with the Irish music sensation playing the harp.

Orchestral tours have taken Tara throughout Europe, China, Japan, Korea and America performing in venues such as Carnegie hall, New York, Oriental Arts Centre, Shangahi and the National Centre for the Performing Arts, Beijing. She has won many awards including the Inaugural Flax Trust Classics £5000 bursary and The George & Angela Moore Flax Trust Classics Audience Award in 2012, the Leo Gibney Award for Chamber Music (RIAM), Ballymena Music Festival’s prestigious Young Instrumentalist Award in 2009 and Holywood Music Festival’s Ulster Bank Festival Gala Cup and the d’Arcy Cup and Award in 2010.

Exciting collaborations have included artists such as Bono, Josh Groban, Celtic Woman, Damien Rice, Julie Feeney and Il Divo. She has appeared on RTE's Late Late Show and Saturday Night Shows. 

Tara was a lead in the show 'Ireland Calling' in which she was a singer, violinist and harpist.  The show appeared in Copenhagen, Denmark and Dublin, Ireland in 2014.

She was selected as Head Girl in St. Louis Grammar School, Ballymena 08/09 and obtained a First class honours in the RIAM's Diploma in Music Teaching and Performance in June 2009.

Tara currently teaches violin in Mount Anville Junior School, Dublin.

Tara performs on a Roger Hansell violin.
    CWazyTom
    The CWazy Canadian
    Administrator

We love you, Tara!

View Profile
    « Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 01:16:48 PM »

How to pronounce her name

Just in case you were wondering, it's pronounced:

TAR-a

She says it right at the start of this video):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqKgFSgca_I

I'm sure it'll get pronounced "TAIR-a" a lot, but when we meet her, let's greet her right. 
    Welcome to Celtic Woman, Tara!
    CWazyTom
    The CWazy Canadian
    Administrator

We love you, Tara!

View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 08:05:51 PM »

For the record, I'm including the series of key Facebook posts here related to her joining Celtic Woman, because they have some interesting information and because, for most of thus, they will be very memorable. It was a wild and exciting day for all of us when Tara was announced.

Mairead Stepping Away:

August 7, 2016
    https://www.facebook.com/maireadnesbittcelticviolinist/posts/1757393424539932:0

Hi Everyone
    After taking a bit of a weekend away, I came back only to realize that many of you have seen some press which may have you wondering what I’m up to… so it’s obviously time to tell you.
    I’ve made the personal decision to take time off from Celtic Woman to work on some really special projects that are close to me. At the end of this month I’ll be launching my PledgeMusic campaign and I’m hoping you’ll follow me on my journey while I record my brand new album, HIBERNIA. This has been a long time in the making and I’m anxiously awaiting these recording sessions with symphony orchestra, as well as some very dear friends, family and special guests.
    Also, now that I have this time away, I’ll be recording an album this fall with my very musical family (in a very unique setting!) as well as introducing my very own Celtic Violin line.
    I’ll be sharing these details with you directly as the plans unfold.
    I’m really looking forward to the months ahead. I’ll miss my Celtic Woman family while I embark on these projects but it will make it that much more special when I share the stage with them again!
    Our fans are second to none & are like family to me. Thank you all so much for your support and I’m looking forward to seeing you all very soon with ?#?Hibernia? & again down the road with Celtic Woman Tour.
    With love,
    Máiréad

The official statement from Celtic Woman:

August 7, 2016
    https://www.facebook.com/celticwoman/posts/10154398051527838:0

Hi All,
    I wanted to let you know of a change of line up in Celtic Woman.
    Our wonderful Celtic Violinist Máiréad Nesbitt is departing to pursue solo projects. Máiréad is very excited about these plans and will be keeping you posted on her social media and through Celtic Woman.
    I would like to personally pay tribute to Máiréad who has been a member of Celtic Woman since the very beginning. She had a dynamic musical impact in the show and has continuously thrilled our fans throughout the world. She has elevated Celtic violin playing to a new level. Not only is she a great musician but also a true professional and most importantly a lovely person and a good friend. We wish her the very best with her solo projects and look forward to her playing again with Celtic Woman.
    As you can imagine replacing Máiréad is a very difficult task but after a very lengthy process, we are delighted to introduce a new star to the show. We have great pleasure in announcing that Tara McNeill is the newest member of Celtic Woman. We take great pride in the hugely talented women that have been part of our wonderful journey with Celtic Woman. We have always strived to bring you the very best Irish female talent and give them the opportunity to perform to our wonderful fans all over the world.
    Tara hails from the great county of Antrim and is a first class honours graduate of the Royal Irish Academy of Music. Not only is she is a world class, award winning violinist but a fantastic harpist as well and we look forward to her making a huge contribution to the show. This is a dream come through for her and I know that all of you will give her a big Celtic Woman welcome and help her realise her dreams.
    Susan, Eabha and Mairéad are delighted to welcome Tara and are very excited to be working with her. This great new line up will make it's debut in South Africa in September, followed by South Korea and China in October/November. Tara will also feature on a very exciting new Celtic Woman album which will be released in November.
    Sending very best wishes and good health to you all. Thank you for your wonderful support and we look forward to seeing you all on tour.
    Go n-éirí an bother lib go léir!
    Dave Kavanagh
    Executive Producer

Note: That same statement from Celtic Woman may be found on the group's official site:
    http://celticwoman.com/11238-2/

Tara Introducing Herself:

August 8, 2016
    https://www.facebook.com/taramcneillmusic/posts/1225591480807531:0

Hello everyone!! I just wanted to say how unbelievably happy I am to be joining Celtic Woman! This really is a dream come true for me! ⭐️ I have admired Celtic Woman for years and always dreamt of being up on the stage with these fantastic, talented people! I cannot wait to start performing with Susan McFadden, Mairead Carlin Official and Éabha McMahon! The very best of luck to Máiréad Nesbitt with all her wonderful, exciting new plans! To everyone who has sent me messages and comments, I am completely blown away by your support, encouragement and belief in me! Thank you so much! You all make me feel like I am already part of the Celtic Woman family!! Tara xx
    « Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 12:04:20 AM by CWazyTom » Logged
    CWazyTom
    The CWazy Canadian
    Administrator

We love you, Tara!

View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 06:43:54 PM »

Here's some more about Tara!

Tara's triple-threat:
    • Tara comes from a musically-inclined family. All her siblings played instruments.
    • When she was young, she wanted to sing.
    • By age 7, she was playing piano.
    • By age 8, she also started playing violin (the instrument she went on to study at the degree level.
    • Tara was a violinist and singer for Anuna.
    • Tara was a violinist, singer, and harpist as a lead performer in Ireland Calling.
    • Tara sings in the soprano range.

Tara's Teachers:
    • Elizabeth Steele
    • Clair Esler
    • Michael D'Arcy

Leading the pack:
    • Tara was part of the junior and senior NEELB (North Eastern Education and Library Board) youth orchestras.
    • She lead the senior orchestra at age of 17

Sources:
    http://www.taramcneill.com/#!Antrim Guardian/zoom/c1nh5/c149k
    https://twitter.com/tara_mcneill/status/769440040002912256

Family:

• Tara is a youngest child.
    • Tara has at least 2 brothers. Both play cello and piano.
    • Tara has a sister that plays violin.
    • Pretty much everyone in Tara's family sings.

Violin
    • Tara has been known to perform on a Roger Hansell violin.
    • She's a classically trained violinist.
    • We know from Mairead Nesbitt that it's incredibly difficulty to play both classical and contemporary styles professionally. However, I bet Tara can handle herself well in either style.

Tara's Favorites
    • Violin style to play: classical
    • Pop singer: Taylor Swift
    • Food: Pizza (particularly Dominos Pizza) and the cookies from Dominos*
    • Drink: Cookie Milkshake*

* Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t-mIUzoqU0 (~17-18 minute mark)

Other fun facts about Tara:
    • Tara played in the Ulster Youth orchestra for 7 years (and led the orchestra in her final year)

Sources:
    http://www.taramcneill.com/#!Antrim Guardian/zoom/c1nh5/c149k

Whenever you find stuff that highlights what an amazing performer and woman Tara is, be sure to post here!
    « Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 08:26:53 PM by CWazyTom » Logged
    CWazyTom
    The CWazy Canadian
    Administrator

We love you, Tara!

View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 09:13:57 PM »

As most of you know, Tara got engaged in 2016, before she joined Celtic Woman.

Tonight was Tara's hen party, as we discovered from Tara on Instagram in the most adorable way possible.
    « Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 07:06:18 AM by CWazyTom » Logged
    CWazyTom
    The CWazy Canadian
    Administrator

We love you, Tara!

View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 07:06:28 AM »

Yesterday was Tara's big day!
    « Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 08:23:13 AM by CWazyTom » Logged
    Pages: [1] Print